Frequently Asked Questions
How long has this organization been in San Luis Obispo?
100+ Women Who Care in SLO was founded in March of 2008 by Cathie Orrick, a retired teacher
who has had the privilege of working and living in the area for more than 35 years. She's almost a
How does a typical meeting work?
- The meeting starts promptly at 5:30! If you arrive early, relax in the meeting room. Wine is offered at most meeting venues. In March we meet in SLO; in November in the North County.
- If you have a charity suggestion, complete the form (usually it is at your table) and put it in the basket.
- After a brief introduction, three names are randomly drawn from the basket. Each member
- Following questions/answers, ballots are distributed and members write down their first
- Once the recipient has been chosen, members write a $100 check (no cash, please) to that
community in thirty minutes!
How much of my donation really goes to the charity?
Every penny! That's why you write your check directly to the chosen charity. And it's tax deductible.
Which organizations are allowed to be sponsored?
The organization must be located in San Luis Obispo County and it must be a non-profit organization
recognized as a 501(c)(3) that serves the county.
What is a 501(c)(3)?
501(c)(3) is defined as "exemptions apply to corporations, and any community chest, fund or foundation,
organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary,
educational purposed, to foster national or international amateur sports competition, promote the arts, or for
the prevention of cruelty to children or animals." For the purpose of 100+ Women Who Care, a local non-
profit, charitable, non-religious group is acceptable. If you're not sure that your suggested charity is a
501(c)(3), just ask them.
Is my donation of $100 tax deductible? How do I get credit for my donation?
Yes, your donation is tax deductible because your check is written directly to the charity and NOT
to 100+ Women Who Care. Your check is your receipt.
How do I get my check to be included if I can't attend the meeting?
- You can give a signed, blank check to an attending member. She will fill in the name of the winning charity and submit it to the organizer so it is included with the other donations.
- After the meeting, members are emailed the results of the meeting, You can then write your check, mail it to the organizer, and have it included with the other donations.
Can I just send my donation to the charity myself? Why do you have to send it on my behalf?
The goal of the 100+ Women Who Care is to make a large donation on behalf of the whole group.
We want to be able to support this endeavor and give $10,000+ at a time to make a large
impact in our community, with each member's donation being part of the larger donation. So, the
collective effort is imperative in order to make a large impact. There is power in numbers!
I would like to bring a friend to the meeting but she is not a member. Can I?
Absolutely! However, in order to vote, she will have to become a member by signing a
commitment form (membership form). She can complete the form at the meeting or she can
request a membership form by contacting email@example.com or calling (805)226-2822.
I sent an email and have not gotten a response. What's up?
• Look in your spam/junk folder for the response. Some computers are pickier than others.
• To receive future emails/updates, enter the email address firstname.lastname@example.org in your address